Outdoor Flag Polyester: Tear-resistant lightweight knitted fabric with excellent thru-print (3.25oz/yd²)
5ft x 3ft
Flag & Hand-Held Flagpole
Pre-printed flag Tangle-free aluminum flagpole Removable black handle
Flag & Wall-Mounted Flagpole
Pre-printed flag Tangle-free aluminum flagpole Removable black handle 180° adjustable wall mount
Flag & Pole-Mounted Flagpole
Pre-printed flag Tangle-free aluminum flagpole Removable black handle 180° adjustable wall mount (2) 40" steel bands
Flag & Ground-Mounted Flagpole
Pre-printed flag Aluminum flagpole PVC tube for ground installation
The History of the Florida State Flag
Throughout its more than 170 years of statehood, Florida has had a number of different state flags. From the first unofficial flag in 1845 to the secession flag of 1861, there have been at least six different flag designs flying over the Florida state capitol ever since it became a state.
The First Unofficial State Flag
The first state flag of Florida didn’t last very long. Flown for the inauguration of Governor William D. Moseley, the first flag consisted of multiple stripes (blue, orange, red, white and green) with an American flag in the top left corner. Across the orange stripe were the words “Let Us Alone.” Due to the controversy surrounding this motto, the 1845 flag was never adopted as the official Florida state flag.
The First Official Flag
By the time Florida seceded from the United States in January of 1861, there had been a number of different flags flying over the state. The general assembly of the Florida legislature asked the current governor, Madison Starke Perry, to adopt a flag for the state that was distinctive to the character of the state of Florida.
In July of 1861, the governor had his flag. Consisting of red-white-red stripes next to a blue field, this version of the Florida State Flag featured the motto “In God Is Our Trust.” The description was noted down by the secretary of state, Benjamin F. Allen, but it’s unknown if it was ever raised over the Florida capitol.
The Lone Star Flag -- A State In Crisis
Before the outbreak of the Civil War in April of 1861, Florida state militia under Colonel William H. Chase took control of the Pensacola navy yard and the surrounding forts. When Chase’s troops arrived, they raised a temporary flag to show their control of the navy yard. The flag that Chase’s troops raised looked almost exactly like the United States flag, except it had one star instead of many.
The Flag of Secession
Throughout the month of January and all before Florida officially left the Union, secession flags had been flying in many different parts of the state. The first “official” flag calling for Florida to secede from the Union was presented to Governor Madison Perry by the community of Broward’s Neck, part of Duval County.
When Florida’s Ordinance of Secession was signed on January 11, 1861, that flag was hoisted over the capitol. It consisted of red, grey and blue stripes on the right, with a circular field of stars on the left. Above the field of stars was the motto “The Rights of the South At All Hazards!”
The Second and Third Florida State Flags
Florida was readmitted to the Union on June 25, 1868. Following this, the state legislature convened a Constitutional Convention later that year. It was that convention that would give Florida its second official flag as a state of the Union.
During the convention, the legislature declared these guidelines for the new flag:
The flag had to be six feet, six inches in length.
The flag had to be six feet wide.
The center of the flag had to contain the seal of the state.
The entire flag had to have a white background.
By the time the Constitutional Convention of 1868 rolled around, Florida’s state emblem had changed. For the 1868 convention, Florida’s state seal was a Native American man laying a string of flowers on the beach. In the distance, a ship was sailing to shore.
The 1868 and 1900 versions of the flag look remarkably similar. Aside from updates to the seal -- which now turns the Native American man into a Seminole woman -- there was the addition of a red cross coming out of the seal in a diagonal fashion.
The 1900 version of the flag was the idea of Florida’s governor at the time. In the late 1890s, Governor Francis P Fleming suggested that a pair of diagonal red bars in the pattern of a St Andrew’s cross be added to the flag, so that it didn’t look like a white flag of truce or surrender when hanging limp on a flagpole.
The idea was turned into a joint resolution by the state legislature in 1899. A year later, the resolution was put to the electorate, who ratified it as part of the Florida constitution. The flag was adopted in 1900, and, aside from a slight modification in length, it remains Florida’s state flag to this day.